Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Brothers

Growing up I would have given anything to be an only child. I had two older brothers. Mat is the oldest. He is just under 4 years older than me. Nick is the middle child. He is almost 2 years older than me. I am the baby and the only girl. Yes, I was a little spoiled.

My brothers didn't always appreciate having a little sister. To say we didn't always get along would be an understatement. My aunt, who lives next door to my parents, came over on more than one occasion when we were home alone and the fighting sounded like my brothers were about to kill me.

 I could go on about the fights that occurred when we were growing up, but I would prefer to discuss the oddity that occurred when my brothers moved out.  Somehow the old adage "absence makes the heart grow fonder" came true. After they enlisted in the Air Force, we became best friends, which was evident by my parent's phone bill. My dad once asked, "Why is it that when you lived together, you couldn't say two words to each other, but now that it cost me $0.10 a minute, you can talk for over an hour?" Oops!

I now look at the men they have become and marvel at how different my life would have been if my wish of being an only child would have come true. They have grown in to amazing men, husbands and fathers of the cutest, smartest, most wonderful kids(I may be a little prejudice). I see so much of my parents, especially my mom, in them.

If you read my past post, you would know that my mom always put everyone else before herself. When she passed away, my brothers turned their attention and worry to me. In a very cute yet awkward conversation, they asked me to get a mammogram. I was very lucky that I was able to get it covered by insurance.  Most insurance companies will not cover a mammogram for a 26 year old to make her brothers feel better.  More importantly, my brothers also asked, in their unique, uncomfortable way, if I did monthly self exams.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for EVERY woman regardless of age or risk factors to get in the habit of doing this. My mom had her annual mammogram within 6 months of her initial diagnosis. It was normal. It was during her monthly exam that she discovered the lump.  There is absolutely no excuse to not take 5 minutes a month to examine your breasts!

But I don't know how to do the exam! http://women.webmd.com/healthtool-self-breast-exam Now you do!

I can't remember to do it every month. http://www.bebrightpink.org/programs/support-community/breast-self-exam-email-reminder/  Problem solved.

Leave a comment below if you have other excuses. I will come up with a solution for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment